Indigenous Literacy Foundation
The Indigenous Literacy Foundation (ILF) is a national charity of the Australian Book Industry, working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander remote Communities across Australia. The ILF is Community-led, responding to requests from remote Communities for culturally relevant books, including early learning board books, resources, and programs to support Communities to create and publish their stories in languages of their choice.
In remote Communities across Australia, there is often no infrastructure such as libraries or bookstores. Access to reading material is extremely limited and this impacts the achievements of Indigenous children.
Book Supply 2023 Book Lists
Since 2011, the Indigenous Literacy Foundation has
- worked with over 400 remote Communities
- gifted 636,100 books
- worked with 83 remote playgroups through Book Buzz
- published 143 books reflecting 26 Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander languages.
How booksellers can support the ILF
- Promote your support of ILF on your website, using the assets found here.
- Follow ILF on social media and like, comment and share their posts
- Encourage school customers to get involved with Indigenous Literacy Day and host a Great Book Swap.
- Support the Community Publishing Program
- include First Nations voices into your book selection, see the list of ILF titles here.
- Host a fundraising event in store such as:
- gold coin donation for gift wrap
- gold coin donation at author events
- having an ILF donate point at the checkout counter
- hosting a Great Book Swap
The ILF warmly welcomes photos and stories of bookshops fundraising to share on their social pages.
Indigenous Literacy Day 2023
Indigenous Literacy Day (ILD) will be held on 6 September 2023 and is a celebration of the diversity of First Nations Peoples' Stories, Cultures and Languages.
In collaboration with the Sydney Opera House, the Indigenous Literacy Foundation (ILF) is proud to present a 15‑minute film celebrating Indigenous Literacy Day with stories and songs from remote Communities.
Following the film, viewers are invited to stay online for a 45‑minute livestream celebration directly from the Sydney Opera House, with a star‑studded team of ILF Ambassadors ‑ Jessica Mauboy, Justine Clarke, Gregg Dreise, Josh Pyke and more!
Visit https://www.indigenousliteracyfoundation.org.au/ild for more information.
Other ways to engage
- Making a donation through our website
- Holding a Great Book Swap or your own fundraising event
- Registering for Busking for Change ‑ ILF's newest musical fundraiser for primary schools
- Donating a percentage of your product sales on this day ‑ popular for bookshops!
- Taking an ILF donation box to work or school
- Purchasing ILF‑published books written by remote Community authors and illustrators from our shop
- Buying an ILF t-shirt for your staff or students to wear to work or school
- Becoming a regular giver or set up workplace giving
- Becoming an ILF partner
- Advocating for us on social media and tag @IndigenousLiteracyFoundation on Facebook and Instagram, and @IndigenousLF on Twitter.
- Sharing the Indigenous Literacy Day event within your networks
ILD assets can be found at https://www.indigenousliteracyfoundation.org.au/ild-2023-resources
Please visit this page to see all assets you may use to promote ILF.